Viruses have a certain predilection for Windows when it comes to infecting computers and laptops. Luckily there is a solution to this common problem and also ways to prevent it. We explain how to remove a virus from your PC.
For bad luck, almost everyone at least once a lifetime will experience the terrible experience of having a virus on their computer. But luckily, there are effective ways to remove malicious content from a Windows PC or laptop.
Next, we will help you to get rid of that malware that lives on your computer if you can still use it and you have access to the Internet as if you have completely lost control of the device. We also advise you on how to protect your PC in the future.
How to remove a virus from your computer or laptop
If your computer seems to work perfectly despite being infected by a virus, you should follow the steps below to eliminate it. Remember that you should not restart your computer until you have completed each step.
1. Some malicious programs will make it very difficult for you to eliminate them. To combat it, you must download, install and use the RKill program.
2. You should also download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows. Once done, open the program and go to ‘ Settings ‘, followed by ‘ Protection ‘ and ‘ Scan for rootkit ‘. Go back to the main menu and click on ‘ Analyze now ‘.
3. Finally, download and install Malwarebytes ADWcleaner on your computer, open the program and click on ‘ Analyze ‘ also to find and remove the virus.
How to remove a virus in Windows if your computer has stopped working
But what happens if you can not access your infected computer? In this case, you should create a recovery tool from which you can start your computer that does not work. You will need to use another computer and an empty CD, DVD or USB.
1. Download the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool recovery tool on this second uninfected computer.
2. If you are going to use a CD or DVD to boot your computer, you must insert it now. Find the file corresponding to the recovery tool, right-click on iso and choose ‘ Burn disk image ‘. Select the disc in question and click on ‘ Record ‘.
3. In case you are going to use a USB, you must download and install the Rufus tool. Connect your USB drive and, under ‘ Format Options ‘, select ‘ ISO Image ‘ from the drop-down menu next to ‘ Create a boot disk using ‘.
Next, click on the disk drive icon, look for the Norton Boot Recovery Tool file and select NBRT.iso. Then you can click on ‘ Start ‘, followed by ‘ OK ‘.
4. Now, insert the bootable CD, DVD or USB that you just created on the infected computer.
5. Restart or restart the computer. Instead of letting it boot normally, you’ll have to access the BIOS settings. For this, you must type a specific key, normally ‘ F2 ‘, although it will be indicated on the screen.
6. Browse through the BIOS menus until you find the Boot options. Then, select the CD, DVD or USB that you have used.
7. Save the changes and exit the BIOS configuration. The computer will now restart from a specific unit.
8. If a start menu appears in the ‘ Welcome to NBRT ‘ window, click on ‘ Boot ‘ and follow the on-screen prompts to start the analysis.
9. When the process is complete, you will be presented with a list of the threats found and you will be recommended what steps to take next. Remember that you will not be able to back down so make sure you only eliminate real threats.
10. Once you have selected the actual threats, click on ‘ Fix ‘ and then ‘ OK ‘ to confirm the action.
11. Finally, click on ‘ Restart ‘ when the process has finished.
How to prevent more viruses from entering your Windows computer in the future
Now that you have been able to eliminate the virus that had infected your computer is a good time to think about how to protect it for the future. We recommend that you install an antivirus on your computer and make sure you always have it updated.
It is true that Windows 10 comes with a firewall installed, as well as a quite effective antivirus called Windows Defender.
Other ways to make sure you have a PC free of malware is to be very careful: open attachments in emails from senders you know and download software only from official pages or that are reliable.